Friday, November 14, 2008

Take Two: A Big Success


So I wasn't able to go to the Muppets, Music & Magic showing Saturday night, but I must say I am very glad to have been among the lucky ones to get to join in the fun on Sunday! As I said in the previous post, David Rudman was there as the guest host for the event which was a real treat. He brought along a friend you might all know...who does in fact still love cookies...you guessed it, COOKIE MONSTER! And in case you were wondering, Cookie, will forever love his cookies...none of this Veggie Monster hub-bub that's been going around for the last few years.

The event showcased Jim Henson's early work as a film maker. Not only did it include some of his extremely rare commercials (as well as some you might have caught on youtube) but some of his even lesser known works which did not include puppets at all. What was great about some of these videos, is that you can really see Henson's artistic genius in a whole new light, and while many of you who may read this blog would already consider the works you have seen to fit in a category such as that, I'm sure it helped convince some of the people in the theater that his work was not just for children.


In case you were wondering what question I decided to ask him, here it is...you may not consider it to be the most original question, but not only is it an important one to us here are Puppetfix, but possibly to you...

"What advice do you have for puppet builders/puppeteers who seriously want to make the transition from amateur to professional?"


To which he replied, and I don't quote (because my inner-monologue was speaking simultaneously; unfortunately downing out some of these words of wisdom)...


Really get yourself out there. Find the people who are doing it and get your foot in the door. Find as much work as you can and get as much training as you can find...


Of course I'm sure there was much more but the inner-monologue was saying..."Wow, you just asked David Rudman a question. Why did you start the question looking at the popcorn box and not at him. He's going to think you lack all confidence in the world to actually be able to be a great puppeteer. Make eye contact. Good. Wow, David Rudman is answering my question. That's pretty cool...Wait, what was that? Crap, I missed that...see he can make good eye contact, why can't I when I asking a question?"


Something to the effect at least.


Afterwards, I was able to talk to him with my girlfriend. We both worked at Sesame Place where she had been "great friends" (wink wink) with Baby Bear, and I with Cookie Monster so we were able to share that with him. He was great to talk to and I really hope we have the chance to meet him again in the future.

I'm waiting for conformation from him to see if I can post any of the pictures I took. I don't want to get your hopes up, but you can understand my want for doing things the right way. Until then, enjoy this totally random picture I'll post instead...